Monday 9 May 2011

Baby brain or early dementia?

OMG.... I have just had 'one of THOSE moments'.  As I sit here typing, I cannot believe quite how stupid I have been. 

For many years now I have been able to claim 'baby brain' for my daft moments - like finding shoes in the fridge, post in the freezer and packing my eldest son off to school with no pants on.  But there comes a time in your parenting life that you have to face facts.  Is it really baby brain or early dementia?  Today's little incident has really got me thinking.

Having moved 4 months ago we now have the luxury of a downstairs toilet.  We also never use our front door as our 'back' door is situated a metre from the front door and only requires one key.  Over the weekend my husband fitted a bolt to the garden gate which gives me the peace of mind of being able to leave the door open and not worry about the neighbours reporting a stray toddler on the road.

Today, being lazy I decided not to go upstairs but used the downstairs loo.  As I sat there with my pants around my ankles I heard a knock on the back door and someone calling "hello?"  Without thinking I responded with "Hello, come in"!!!!!  Before my slow brain had the chance to realise my fatally embarrassing mistake and react, THE POSTMAN was standing just a few metres away from me!

Gracefully he said "package for you, don't worry, it doesn't need a signature" and he retreated quickly leaving the goods on the kitchen counter.

How will I ever face him again?  In fact, I have decided not too.... I plan to be out every morning until Christmas when I can give him a stuffed envelope to hopefully erase his memory. 

2 comments:

  1. I bet he'll be back tomorrow with another package...and the day after and the day after ;-) x

    ReplyDelete