Saturday 7 May 2011

Could the search be over?

I seem to be forever looking for my next mode of transport that will make the school runs easier.

Having invested in a bike, a baby seat on the back and a trailer for two, I am still not satisfied.   I do get some funny looks from passers by though.

The school runs usually go like this.......
Get everyone up, fed, dressed, pack lunches done, search for half an hour for a missing shoe which is then found in a bush soaking wet from the rain, faces cleaned and a final fight between hair brush and hair (the brush usually wins).  This is followed by them all running out of the gate leaving me to struggle with a total of 6 school bags, 2 drinks bottles, 3 sun hats, a hand bag and the toddler's dolly, whilst I lock the door always shouting.... "mind the cars".  I then have a battle to get the toddler into her car seat.  With back arching, legs thrashing and claws exposed she eventually has to give into my demands when my knee gently applies pressure and forces her to bend in the middle.  As I retreat backwards out of the 'van' I look like I have done 10 rounds with Mike Tyson and urgently need to run back inside to find the deodorant.

So all clipped in we make the half mile trip down the road to school number one to deliver son number one.  There seems to be an unspoken competition to see who can get the parking spaces closest to the school.  Even arriving at 7.30am we have to park miles away and walk another half mile to the gates.  This is where the school run really does turn into a run.  Whilst 3 run ahead, one usually hangs back.  In fact the other day I had to walk back to the car as I was convinced I had left one of them locked in, only to find him at the pelican crossing by the school.  As I have mentioned in previous blogs, I live in a posh area.  I would love nothing better than to shout... "IF YOU RUN AHEAD ONE MORE TIME I WILL BE FORCED TO BAN YOU FROM THE Wii FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE AND LEAVE YOU TIED TO THE LAMP POST LIKE A DOG TOMORROW".  However, I find myself saying "Darlings, not too far now, you might get an ouch from a nasty car"..... which, let's be honest, does not have the same effect.  Once at the school I cannot sigh with relief as I know I have the walk back to the car still to come.  We then have a 5 minute drive to school number 2 which does not open till 9.15 so we have to wait in the car for 15 minutes, just to deliver sons number 2 and 3.

And then we have to do it all over again in the afternoon to collect son number one from school number one

Next September the 3 boys will all be at the same school.  I am trying to get in touch with my eco side (well the side the bank manager is on anyway) and cut down the use of the car.  Well, petrol prices are ridiculous at the moment.  So I am wondering about getting this..... I can strap all 4 in the box!


What do you think?  Am I mad?  Is there another option?

1 comment:

  1. HAVE YOU SEEN JUNO TESTED ONE OF THESE OVER EASTER...SEE THE EDITOR'S BLOG AT WWW.JUNOMAGAZINE.COM

    ReplyDelete